Prime Video Scores Big with Thursday Night Football
Amazon averages 15.3 million viewers across all platforms for first exclusive TNF game
TNF draws 4.25 rating in Adults 18-34, the #1 rated program for the week in that demo and 18% higher than the average A18-34 NFL rating this season
A new era for streaming arrives, as Prime Video's exclusive presentation of TNF delivered more viewers than any other program on broadcast or cable Thursday night
NEW YORK-September 22, 2022-Prime Video's inaugural presentation of Thursday Night Football scored big last week; including all available data on every platform from Amazon's first party measurement metrics** and Nielsen Media research, TNF averaged 15.3 million viewers (AMA) during its September 15 showdown between the AFC rival Los Angeles Chargers and Kansas City Chiefs.
In Nielsen National TV Ratings alone, Thursday Night Football averaged an impressive 13.0 million total viewers, up +47% from last year's comparable Week 2 TNF matchup, which aired solely on NFL Network (NYG vs. WSH, 8.84M, includes OTA). Thursday's audience on Prime Video peaked from 10:45-10:59 p.m. with 14.6 million viewers as the Chiefs outdueled the Chargers, 27-24. Other Nielsen highlights include:
· TNF on Prime Video delivered an audience 7 years younger than the linear NFL audience through Week 2 of the 2022 season (46 vs. 53). The audience was 8 years younger than last year's average TNF audience (54, tri-cast on Fox, NFL Network and Prime Video).
· TNF on Prime Video delivered a 4.25 rating in Adults 18-34, 18% higher than the average A18-34 rating for an NFL telecast this season. It was the #1 program of the week across broadcast and cable with A18-34 (9/12-9/18).
· TNF on Prime Video also rated higher than last year's full-season TNF tri-cast average among A18-34 (+29%, 4.25 vs. 3.3) and A18-49 (+9%, 5.0 vs. 4.6).
· TNF on Prime Video was the most-watched program of the night across broadcast or cable, out-delivering the #2 program by +271% in total viewers (13.0M vs. 3.5M, Young Sheldon on CBS).
· According to Nielsen local market ratings, the local broadcasts in Los Angeles averaged 602,000 viewers, and 555,000 viewers in Kansas City.
**Amazon aggregates direct viewing data from the millions of devices and accounts watching in order to provide a clear and comprehensive understanding of viewership across Amazon's channels. Amazon first party viewership metrics deliver insights that combine direct first-party data with Nielsen figures within a large-scale "broadcast" encoded event, as measured by their panel.
Amazon's measurement combines 1st and 3rd party data to provide advertising customers, as well as the broader marketplace, with a more holistic picture of Thursday Night Football's viewership. Amazon's 2022 agreements with advertisers are guaranteed on Nielsen's National TV Ratings, and will continue to be.
Nielsen's audience data for Prime Video's national TV rating is based on a panel sampling of devices where Prime Video is available in the U.S., including set-top boxes, connected TVs, web and mobile, as well as Twitch, local over-the-air stations, out-of-home viewing, and NFL+.