[03/08/23 - 10:00 AM] Prime Video Announces Essay Writing Scholarship Program Inspired by "The Power" The program implores students within the Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD) and the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY to reflect on what power means to them and how they use their power to fuel their creative expression.
[via press release from Amazon]
Prime Video Announces Essay Writing Scholarship Program Inspired by "The Power"
The program will award scholarships to multiple participants, as well as two grand prize trips to attend the series' global red carpet premiere in New York City
CULVER CITY, California - March 8, 2023 - In celebration of International Women's Day, today, Prime Video announced an essay-writing scholarship program inspired by the upcoming series The Power. The program implores students within the Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD) and the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY to reflect on what power means to them and how they use their power to fuel their creative expression.
The scholarship was developed in collaboration with the LACCD and CUNY's Newmark J-School in order to champion students studying in the television, film and, journalism fields who are committed to challenging the status quo through their creative expression. Both LACCD and CUNY's Newmark J-School are powerful engines of social mobility and civic engagement in their respective cities.
Each organization will select the top two essay submissions to be shared with Naomi Alderman, the author of The Power, who will recommend one recipient from each institution to attend The Power's red carpet premiere in New York City on Thursday, March 23.
About The Power
The Power is our world, but for one twist of nature. Suddenly, and without warning, teenage girls develop the power to electrocute people at will. The series features a cast of remarkable characters from London to Seattle, Nigeria to Eastern Europe, as the Power evolves from a tingle in teenagers' collarbones to a complete reversal of the power balance of the world.
The series stars Toni Collette as Mayor Margot Cleary-Lopez, alongside John Leguizamo as Rob Lopez, Auli'i Cravalho as Jos Cleary-Lopez, Toheeb Jimoh as Tunde Ojo, Josh Charles as Daniel Dandon, Eddie Marsan as Bernie Monke, Ria Zmitrowicz as Roxy Monke, Zrinka Cvitešić as Tatiana Moskalev, Halle Bush as Allie Montgomery, and more.
The Power comes from Amazon Studios and SISTER, with Raelle Tucker (True Blood, Jessica Jones) serving as showrunner.
About Prime Video
Prime Video offers customers a vast collection of movies, series, and sports - all available to watch on hundreds of compatible devices.
· Included with Prime Video: Watch movies, series, and sports, including Thursday Night Football. Enjoy series and films including Emmy winners The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Lizzo's Watch Out for the Big Grrrls, Emmy-nominated satirical superhero drama The Boys, and the smash hits The Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, Shotgun Wedding, Samaritan, Thirteen Lives, The Tender Bar, Being the Ricardos, The Tomorrow War, Reacher, and Coming 2 America. Prime members also get access to licensed content.
· Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add channels like HBO Max, discovery+, Paramount+, BET+, MGM+, ViX+, PBS KIDS, NBA League Pass, MLB.TV, STARZ, and SHOWTIME - no extra apps to download, and no cable required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. View the full list of channels available at amazon.com/channels.
· Rent or Buy: Enjoy new-release movies to rent or buy, entire seasons of current TV shows available to buy, and special deals just for Prime members.
· Instant access: Watch at home or on the go with your choice of hundreds of compatible devices. Stream from the web or using the Prime Video app on your smartphone, tablet, set-top box, game console, or select smart TV.
· Enhanced experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD- and High Dynamic Range (HDR)-compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favorite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
Prime Video is just one of many shopping, savings, and entertainment benefits included with a Prime membership, along with fast, free shipping on millions of Prime-eligible items at Amazon.com, ultrafast grocery delivery and pickup, unlimited photo storage, exclusive deals and discounts, prescription savings, and access to ad-free music, books, and games. To sign up or start a 30-day free trial of Prime, visit: amazon.com/prime.
About the Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD)
Los Angeles Community College District is the nation's largest community college district, educating about 210,000 students annually at its nine colleges that serve the residents of more than 36 cities and communities from 900 square miles of Los Angeles County. Since 1969, the District has been providing an important learning pathway for students seeking transfer to four-year colleges or universities while also offering two-year degrees and certificated training programs for Southern California's diverse workforce in many specialized trades and professions. Learn more about our L.A. College Promise program of free tuition at OurPromiseYourPath.
Members of the Board | David Vela, President | Nichelle Henderson, Vice President | Kelsey K. Iino, Ed.D., Second Vice President | Andra Hoffman | Sara Hernandez | Steven F. Veres | Gabriel Buelna, Ph.D. | Kenneth-Alan Callahan, Student Trustee
About the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at The City University of New York (CUNY):
The Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at The City University of New York (CUNY), founded in 2006, has become nationally recognized for its innovative programs. The first public graduate journalism school in the northeastern U.S., it prepares students from diverse economic, racial, and cultural backgrounds to produce high-quality journalism.
As the profession continues to reinvent itself for the digital age, the Newmark J-School is at the forefront of equipping the next generation of journalists with the reporting, writing, interactive, technological, and entrepreneurial skills they need to find stories and tell them effectively. The school currently offers a Master of Arts in Journalism, a unique bilingual M.A. in Journalism for students fluent in English and Spanish, and the nation's first M.A. in Engagement Journalism.
Follow The Power: