PEACOCK ANNOUNCES NEW LIMITED DRAMA THRILLER SERIES "LAST LIGHT" FROM MGM INTERNATIONAL TV PRODUCTIONS
Matthew Fox (Lost) will Star and Executive Produce with Entertainment 360 in his Return to Television Alongside Star Joanne Froggatt (Liar, Downton Abbey) in Series Based on Alex Scarrow's International Best-Selling Novel Last Light
The Series is in Association with Nordic Entertainment Group's Viaplay
· Peacock announced today a new 5-episode limited drama thriller series LAST LIGHT, starring and executive produced by Emmy(R) nominee Matthew Fox in his return to television, and starring Golden-Globe(R) Award-winner Joanne Froggatt, from MGM International TV Productions in association with Nordic Entertainment Group's Viaplay.
· The series is based on Alex Scarrow's international best-selling novel Last Light, which tells the story of a family fighting to survive in a world that has been suddenly thrown into chaos.
· Dennie Gordon (Jack Ryan) will direct and executive produce all episodes and is currently on the ground in Prague as an EP, producing the series.
· Patrick Massett and John Zinman (Friday Night Lights, The Blacklist) will serve as Showrunners and Executive Producers.
· Matthew Fox will executive produce along with William Choi / Entertainment 360 (Fox's longtime manager).
· "Last Light is the perfect combination of an action-packed limited series with a compelling family drama at its heart," said Lisa Katz, president scripted content, NBCUniversal Television and Streaming. "Led by fan-favorites Matthew Fox and Joanne Froggatt, this sweeping international saga spans several continents that provide a stunning global backdrop, yet is grounded in a relatable and topical story. We can't wait to share this with Peacock audiences."
· "Just over a year ago, after recognizing the immense growth potential in the international market, we launched MGM International TV Productions with the goal of telling global stories that not only entertain, but also shed light on issues that are important to today's audiences worldwide." said Mark Burnett, Chairman of Worldwide Television at MGM.
· "This is a timely thriller about society's dependency on oil and its devastating effects on our planet. Diego Piasek, our head of development told me about Dennie connecting with this important message. Dennie is a multi-genre talented female director and her vision with Patrick and John, has shaped an urgent message for our audiences. We started this journey with Sydney and now with all our platform partners involved, we are poised to have this message heard in every corner of the globe," added Rola Bauer, President of MGM International TV Productions.
ABOUT THE SERIES:
· Director / Executive Producer: Dennie Gordon (Jack Ryan) will direct the entire series
· Showrunners / Executive Producers: Patrick Massett and John Zinman (Friday Night Lights, The Blacklist)
· Starring / Executive Producer: Matthew Fox
· Executive Producers: William Choi, Sydney Gallonde, Rikke Ennis, Patrick Renault, Peter Settman
· Produced by: MGM International Television Productions
· Format: 5 x 60 min episodes, limited drama series
· Filming Location: Production will soon begin in Prague with FILM UNITED overseeing physical production.
· Patrick Murguia is the Director of Photography; Elaine Grainger is overseeing casting and Veronika Lencova is producing.
· Petro-chemist Andy Nielsen knows how dependent the world is on oil; if something were to happen to the world's oil supply, it would set off a chain reaction: transportation would grind to a halt, supplies would cease to be delivered, law enforcement would be overwhelmed. While on a business trip to the Middle East, Andy realizes that his worst fears are coming true and his family is separated at this crucial moment. His teenage daughter, Laura, is alone at home in London while his wife, Elena, and young son, Sam, are in Paris. Amid this chaos, each family member will sacrifice everything to find one another, despite the distance and the dangers that separate them. Based on Alex Scarrow's best-selling novel of the same name.
MATTHEW FOX (Lost) will play Andy Neilson. Andy, an ex-pat living in London, is one of the world's leading petro-chemical engineers. He's brilliant and very in demand, but his drive and ambition have sometimes been to the detriment of his family life. Our story's unfolding crisis will force Andy to reassess his priorities - both familial and professional. The only way he'll be able to restore his family is by setting the world right. He may be the only one with the knowledge and ability to do so.
JOANNE FROGGATT (Liar, Downton Abbey) will play Elena Neilson. Elena is smart, caring, and beautiful. When her son, Sam, was diagnosed with a progressive, degenerative eye disease, she gave up her thriving professional career and put all of her considerable energy and ability toward finding a cure. She has become a leading fundraiser for a foundation pursuing cutting edge research into Sam's condition. This maternal and professional triumph for Elena is only tempered by the state of her marriage, which has been strained to the breaking point.